From The Second Comforter, Chapter 18
The Lord attempted to point the Saints toward understanding what He was providing to them in D&C 88: 119: “Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.” The house was to be a seven-fold blessing to the Saints: 1) prayer; 2) fasting; 3) faith; 4) learning; 5) glory; 6) order; and 7) God. This list of seven, ties the mind back to the original list of seven in the creation. The number seven is a symbol of completion, perfection or the entirety of the matter. The Temple is, therefore, a complete, perfect and entire presentation of the Lord’s Gospel. This list, too, is a progression from one degree to another in grace, light and truth.
- Prayer prepares you to enter into the right frame of mind to receive these things.
- Fasting prepares your spirit and subdues the flesh.
- Faith grows from the prayer and fasting which precedes it and prepares you to learn.
- Learning in the highest sense comes from faith, fasting and prayer.
- This brings to you the “glory of God” or in other words “intelligence” or “light and truth.” As you receive further light and truth, you gain an appreciation for the order of heaven and earth.
- This order requires a ceremonial orientation and understanding.
- All of which prepare you for the presence of God, or the Second Comforter.
This seven-fold list is, therefore, a perfect whole and complete description of the Temple’s purpose.